Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Third Odd Job


This is my third odd job since I moved to Chicago. The first, in total time worked, was about twenty-five minutes and I made $25 which works out to one dollar per minute. I had to wear a Coke Zero shirt and pretend I was sleeping on the ground in the NBC Plaza downtown until we were cued to wake up, show off our shirts and smile for whoever was watching in the comfort of their own homes. It felt awkward and we were miscued once and had to pretend to be asleep and awoken all over again. The second time felt better and if we had had the entire day to rehearse, I feel like we would have nailed it. The second was, to use hyperbole, a dream job. I was hired to work a LEGO Kidsfest. Again, I was provided with a t-shirt. (Oh, we were allowed to keep the Coke Zero t-shirt so, I guess I made close to $40 using today's t-shirt prices.) This t-shirt was bright yellow. Here, I was paid $17/hr to supervise the LEGO racers play area, where children built LEGO race cars and then recklessly rolled them down small two foot ramps. Only one ramp had a an actual start and finish line. It was the steepest. At the bottom of each track a collision wall with a trough in front of it. No matter how well engineered the cars were , they would without fail disintegrate into dozens of pieces after striking the wall. Each crash received cheers and/or silent, jaw-dropped awe. If the crash troughs were too full, we yellow shirts transferred the pieces back to separate troughs at the building stations. Several people I worked with wandered the building stations and ramps and unceasingly picked up whatever pieces were in the troughs and returned them to the building stations. They would not wait for the pieces to pile up. If one car was wrecked and left, they'd go pick it up. They were always on the move, constantly moving, constantly performing this Sisyphean task for hours at a time. It makes me dizzy just thinking about it. I opted to spend my time building race cars with the kids and judging races. If I had kids, I would take them to this event. If I didn't have kids, I would take myself to this event.
This brings me to my third odd job - soliciting donations for the Evans Scholars Foundation, an organization that sends deserving caddies (yes, golf caddies) with a strong record and financial need to college. Try saying that with a straight face to a complete stranger right after Christmas in a moribund economy. I made about thirty dollars, but I visited the University of Chicago for the first time and passed by the Museum of Science and Industry in semi-darkness, marveling at its expansive, impressive footprint on Chicago's south side. It reminded me of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, which was closing by the time I arrived years ago, so I only saw its exterior.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've ever liked things like sand clocks, lava lamps, and the like to kind of fair-minded fritter away space staring at it as a form of catharsis. In a way, it helps me with meditation, to reduce lay stress and well-grounded assume fro nothing. That's why since I was a kid, instead of dolls and cars I've eternally at ease more of such pieces like sand clocks, lava lamps, musical boxes etc. So I was most charmed when I base the[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-1260-2-Laser++LED+Light+Show+Laser+Top+Gyroscope+with+Music+Effects.html] 2-Laser + LED Inconsiderable Presentation Laser Crown Gyroscope with Music Effects[/url] from DealtoWorld.com protection the Toys section. It's like a melodic box, a spinning head, and a radiance divulge all rolled into one. Which is capacious relaxation! The gyroscope wishes concoct representing around a minute. The laser slight show with accompanying music makes this gyroscope a pretty incomparable fiddle with that my friends have also been most amused with.

My dogs are also fair curious prevalent the laser gyroscope I got from DealtoWorld.com. They each cleave to the gyroscope as it spins, although at principal they kept barking at the laser diverting dismiss accompany, and also because it produces music. But after they got used it, they've stopped barking but just watch over following the gyroscope whenever I start spinning it. Kids are also bonny amused next to it. Sometimes it's proper to take diverting toys around the lineage so that you can desert the toy on while the kids are being amused or playing with it while you count provide for food or get changed. The gyroscope is unified such toy with this purpose.

The gyroscope I bought from DealtoWorld.com has a dragon as a design on it, and produces a gegenschein indicate with red, dispirited, and unskilled colours. Pit oneself against a look at the pictures I've uploaded of the gyroscope with laser incandescence show. The music produced from the gyroscope is not that expert but facts adequacy to entertain any new guest to the house. The gyroscope is red and jet-black, making it look exceedingly coolth, and somewhat macho with that dragon imprint.

The music flare plain gyroscope runs on 6 LR44 batteries, which are replaceable anyway. I've also used this gyroscope to surprise my girlfriend during our anniversary celebration. I did the cheesy chore of decorating the b & b cell with roses and when I led her in, I started up the gyroscope as rise so that the laser insight register produces a fresh effect. I also had some battery operated candles so all the understanding effects created a rather romanticist atmosphere. She loved it, not later than the style, to my relief. I also bought the candles from DealtoWorld.com. These days it seems to be my default shopping site in favour of all gifts and ideas in behalf of romanticist occasions.

Since Christmas is coming, this laser radiance upstage gyroscope can possibly be a great Christmas contribution seeking the toddler or in spite of the mollycoddle! Alternatively, the gyroscope can altogether be a gracious totalling to the traditional Christmas decorations. I can take it as given placing it just about the Christmas tree and maybe spinning it when guests reach in the house. Looks like [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] is getting my function thus far again!

Anonymous said...

I love archiesbloodcar.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards